Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Days 11-14 - Of Weekend pains and Deadly Spain

The past 4 days could not have been a better mix of fun and work. And a Spanish victory over a listless and dull Portugal just made it better!
Day 11 Saturday - This day can be summed up in just 1 word - SPSS. SPSS is a statistical analysis tool which can be used to run a number of analytics procedures on numerical data. It makes Excel look like what it really is - a piece of poo. Prof. Banerjee's energetic teaching combined with the joy of learning something new, has made the Market Research Classes absolutely enjoyable for me. In spite of my naturally dazzling ability with numbers, I have always found doing non-deterministic data analysis a little weird and pointless. However now that I am getting good at it, I see the point after all! The night was spent watching 2 movies for Sunday's Strategic Management class. Both movies - Barbarians at the Gate and Baring's Bank were unexpectedly engaging and entertaining.
Day 12 Sunday - Sunday couldn't be worse with 6 hours of lectures including more than 4 hours of hardcore number crunching. However SPSS, a product made by my former employers IBM, continues to enamor me and keep me interested in the subject. The night was spent catching up on Lost of which I finished the Second Season. If you leave out the irritating bit with Michelle Rodriguez, the season was extremely stimulating and intelligent - just the way I like it.
Day 13- Monday - Call this me getting back at the hostile world.
Monday was our day off and me and my friends made the most of it.
Location        : PVR Cinemas
Activity          : Watching Toy Story 3 and The A-Team - back to back
Money spent  : Rs 130/- Totally value for money. While Toy Story was just okay, A-team was flying-tankingly-awesome! Though it was far from the intelligent fare that i generally savor, the action was unabashedly over-the-top with even my favorite machine ever - the F-22 Raptor - featuring in the movie.. Reminded me of the intensely enjoyable and equally unintuitive Die Hard 4. This was followed by great lunch at Pizza Hut. Good stuff! Mayur, 'U' and I spent the rest of the day making a concept for Clearasil to enter the Fairness Cream Segment for Tuesday's FMCG lecture.
Day 14 - Tuesday - Dull and drab was back with Prof HG conducting yet another soporific supply Chain Management Class. The Prof is immune to sarcastic clapping, cheering and being called disgraceful names like Reshma and Shakeela. I suspect he will be shown numerous fingers and be farted on in Wednesday's class, just to determine how much more he can take.
FMCG class followed with students coming up with one stupid product concept after the other. While my group's work was greatly appreciated by Prof Ramesh, the others came up with hilarious and otherwise typically IITian and pathetic products like edible chocolate toothpaste, ready-to-eat Maggi with special packaging capable of causing nuclear fission, and color-changing shoe-polish. No wonder IIPM dares to be better than the IIMs.
After a few games of cricket, in which I demolished the opposition, I watched Spain maul Portugal 1-0. The victory could have been more emphatic had Torres stayed on the bench, which I suspect he will, against Paraguay in the QF.
Anyway, this is going to be another hectic and tiring week. Will be back with more updates soon. Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. u didnt like Toy-story 3 ? film got glowing reviews .. almost had me interested in ani-mated -movies for once..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not a Toy-Story fan.. Wall-E and Ratatouille were more my type :P However a short animated movie (4-5mins long) about night and day was shown before the movie.. That was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day-14 description was brilliant btw.. n hilarious :) ..

    ReplyDelete