Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day Zero - The Man-tis in the room


No I am not going to talk about the much-storied IIM Indore placements here. There are still about 9 months before any organization can snap up the jewel of this institute, that is me. I'm just quickly going to write about what I did on 15th June and hit the sack because it is getting late and I have a very interesting class at 8:45 in the morning. Anyway, 15th June day did not begin on a happy note and I missed Prof. AS's Brand Management class due to ill-health in the morning (yeah okay I woke up late, gimme a break!) . The fact that yet again, students could not recall what happened in that class after Prof AS left the classroom, was communicated to me later. I went to the institute dispensary to get much-needed medical attention (without which I will not get attendance) which I got in the form of 2 capsules which now adorn the innermost recess of the bottom-most shelf of my cupboard. I spent the next few hours working on my Project report detailing the amazing work I did during my 2-month stint with ING Vysya. Though why they are not replying to my emails continues to baffle me. After an awesome lunch in the institute canteen, I did some reading on the Intel case which was to be discussed in the Strategic management II class later that afternoon. The case was long but very interesting. Professor PS's class was actually pretty fun and the fact that he kept dishing out random trivia about corporate giants made the class even more fun. To analyze any company's growth strategy one must first do external analysis (PESTAL), followed by industry analysis, followed by doing an internal analysis. This is followed by several other steps which I shall not reveal in order to keep my competitive advantage in case some WIMWI losers decides to read this. Prof PS also discussed how to decide whether a company has a strategy by using the 'Strategy Diamond'. Very cool stuff! We used this approach to break down the Intel case and more of this is going to continue in 16th June's class. Awesome!
The rest of the day was spent in traveling to the hostel from the classroom, which is like, in a different country. However just as I thought that my day was coming to an end, a strange visitor decided to spice things up. At about 11:30 pm a giant 10 cm long praying mantis/grasshopper/UFO flew right in through my ventilation duct and landed right on my laptop. It made strange cackling noises and gave me intitmidating looks that shall haunt me for the rest of the night.

After freaking out for about 10 minutes and unsuccessfully wielding a chappal in my hand, I decided that the matter had to be escalated. I sought the help of my colorful friend and neighbour Deepak who however chickened out on the pretext of being busy looking up opportunities for investment in the real estate sector. He confessed to me later that bugs make him shit his pants too! It was time to roll-out the big guns. I rushed straight to dear friend and co-quizzing freak, rock music enthusiast and fellow Pune-lover Anjani. He dismissed the angry-looking but shaken insect within minutes! I owe him one. However the insect was last seen pacing outside my door which has given me a highly unsettling feeling. Anyway, tomorrow promises to be an exciting and stimulating day of which I hope to give you a blow-by-blow account. Until then, don't be evil!

6 comments:

  1. u managed to snap the pic of the grasshoper too .. lolzz.. funny stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was again done by my brave friend Anjani :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave guy.. the 'UFO' finally met its match .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazingly trivial and amazingly hilarious! Great job, your writing reminds me of the funny modern Indian fiction that we keep reading in buses and flights :) Maybe you could look at strategies to monetize your ability to squeeze a laugh out of mundane happenings, lets see how much your bloody diamond helps you there!

    And hats off for the link in awesome lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amy : Haha it sure did
    @Arnav : Thanks and well put :) and the lunch totally deserves it ;)

    ReplyDelete