Monday, June 21, 2010

Days 5 and 6 - Of Sadistic Sundays and Mundane Mondays

"So much done, so much yet left to do" 
  - Oscar Wilde on finding a roomful of men
While I abhor Oscar's blasphemous orientation, I could not find a more suitable quote to describe my state over the last two days. Working tirelessly for 8 days straight takes its toll on even the most able of men. To make things worse I have not watched Lost or The Big Bang Theory for more than a week now! It has been  more than a month since I started working on my project report . I guess being a perfect perfectionist does not come easy. Anyway, let's begin from where I left off.
After a long Saturday came a wearisome Sunday. Prof Ramesh kicked off yet another FMCG class at 8:45am but the 50-odd students seemed to show little interest  in the proceedings. But my classmates have negligible attention spans anyway. The topic was Consumer Insights. Insights are vital because they form the needs of the customer and help marketers decide the direction of product development. Sir closed the class by showcasing 16 product concepts that P&G had devised for the Mortein brand. All of the ideas were simply brilliant!
This was followed by the first Finance lecture of the year that I could not even get a whiff of. Prof Vaidya ventured into hi-fi territory with his rant on Asset Acquisition Strategies and Asset pricing strategy. The fact that the 'brilliant' front-bencher IITians were equally or perhaps more clueless seemed to be the only  consolation. 
SAPM was an interesting class with Prof  Dhillon explaining legendary speculator George Soros' trading strategy. His theory was far removed from the way Peter Lynch worked, but was highly effective. Other investors profiled in the class were Warren Buffett, John Templeton, Mark Mobius, William Sharpe and Samir Arora. Great class with a lot of perspective to be gained. The rest of the day was spent in working on the project and enjoying the weather, which towards the evening, transformed from Scarlett Johnasson hot to Kristen Stewart cool. 

View from my corridor, aka 'The McKinsey Way'
Monday began on a testing note with the Strategic Management Quiz squeezing everyone's lemons. Post the involuntary discharge, while most boys stared at the new and vulnerable First Year chicks, I continued working on my report until sundown. The evening was reserved was some cricket in which I shined with a distinct Golden hue. I am also happy to report that the quality of canteen food has hit new highs in anticipation of the juniors' arrival. Kudos!
I am on way to put my weight behind Spain now. They might just be able to pull off a surprise draw against Honduras. May God be merciful. More tomorrow. Cherio!

4 comments:

  1. Take care of health dude .. n don't stretch 2 much.. btw takin some time off to view 'new and vulnerable First Year chicks' is not that bad an idea if u ask me.. but yes, not at cost of sleep .. n pic is outstanding btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to embrace sleep cz I'm finally done with the report! Regarding the guppies, nah, experience tells me not that's not such a wise thing to do.. And well, the sky looked outstanding at that time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I liked - "..cricket in which I shined with a distinct Golden hue"

    What I did not get - "Corridor as McK way?"

    PS - U O me N explaination

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha.. Okay its a long connect - Its MY corridor n I'm most likely to end up at McKinsey :P, so that's the McKinsey 'Way' , with way as in path.. If you didn't get this, probably no one else will :P Oh and I'll tell u about the milking when I meet you next.

    ReplyDelete